open.mp forum
Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Printable Version

+ open.mp forum (https://forum.open.mp)
-- Forum: SA-MP (https://forum.open.mp/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
--- Forum: Tutorials (https://forum.open.mp/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
--- Thread: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. (/showthread.php?tid=38)

Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Y_Less - 2019-04-12

I was comissioned to write a detailed curriculum for a complete beginner to learn pawn with. This is a combination of links to existing tutorials and wholly new information. It is not a tutorial in itself, but a collection of information to read and learn. Depending what you want to learn, you might not even need everything, thus various sections try to list their dependencies so you don't start reading about something without first having read the parts it relies on.

Unfortunately the forums don't support markdown (and forumfmt doesn't QUITE support the BB code used here), so it is hosted on github:

https://github.com/Y-Less/pawn-curriculum

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - dakyskye - 2019-04-12

Awesome.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - spacemud - 2019-04-12

This is great! Do you have any plans to make it collaborative? A up to date guide for beginners (and even intermediate) scripters would be a fantastic resource.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Y_Less - 2019-04-12

Sure. Make a pull request.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Freaksken - 2019-04-12

The reason I got into PAWN/SAMP was due to a thread on the Dutch GTAforums which translates to [Tutorial] Create?Your Own Server. If you really want new people to get started with SA-MP scripting, that is imo a better approach than just pointing people to a PAWN language guide, because they will see immediate results in their server, which will motivate them better to keep going.

Your repository seems more like a PAWN language guide/tutorial instead of SAMP guide/tutorial. But I guess that was your intention (given the repository name), or not? That being said however, I think both type of guides should exist. I'm even willing to write the SAMP guide/tutorial for complete beginners talking about all modern tools/includes/plugins/concepts/practices that are considered good practice these days.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Autorojo - 2019-04-12

Interesting. I'll put in my "to read" list.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - liszt - 2019-04-13

This will prove to be a very nice read, can?t wait since this will probably be even more documented than any work you?ve done before

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Hypeak - 2019-04-14

Awesome.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Juandis - 2019-04-14

This is very useful, it will work wonderfully.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Mugsy - 2019-04-14

Nice...

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Y_Less - 2019-04-15

(2019-04-12, 06:49 PM)Freaksken Wrote: The reason I got into PAWN/SAMP was due to a thread on the Dutch GTAforums which translates to [Tutorial] Create?Your Own Server. If you really want new people to get started with SA-MP scripting, that is imo a better approach than just pointing people to a PAWN language guide, because they will see immediate results in their server, which will motivate them better to keep going.

Your repository seems more like a PAWN language guide/tutorial instead of SAMP guide/tutorial. But I guess that was your intention (given the repository name), or not? That being said however, I think both type of guides should exist. I'm even willing to write the SAMP guide/tutorial for complete beginners talking about all modern tools/includes/plugins/concepts/practices that are considered good practice these days.

Yes, this is more a reference than a total beginner's tutorial.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Kheiron - 2019-04-16

Just great.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Ihnify - 2019-04-17

Not bad, thx

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Culture - 2019-04-17

(2019-04-12, 12:45 PM)Y_Less Wrote: I was comissioned to write a detailed curriculum for a complete beginner to learn pawn with. This is a combination of links to existing tutorials and wholly new information. It is not a tutorial in itself, but a collection of information to read and learn. Depending what you want to learn, you might not even need everything, thus various sections try to list their dependencies so you don't start reading about something without first having read the parts it relies on.

Unfortunately the forums don't support markdown (and forumfmt doesn't QUITE support the BB code used here), so it is hosted on github:

https://github.com/Y-Less/pawn-curriculum

How long does it actually take to learn PAWN?

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Potassium - 2019-04-20

This is amazing, thank you so much. I intend to get into scripting when I have a bit more free time!

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Metro - 2019-04-20

(2019-04-12, 06:49 PM)Freaksken Wrote: I'm even willing to write the SAMP guide/tutorial for complete beginners talking about all modern tools/includes/plugins/concepts/practices that are considered good practice these days.

That would be an absolute godsend please do that

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - Kheiron - 2019-04-20

Do that, Freaksen!

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - EOussama - 2020-02-06

This is very interesting, throwback to the days when I was still hunting for popular tutorial threads in the old forums.

RE: Coding Pawn: From Useless to Y_Less. - HydraLazy - 2021-03-28

(2019-04-12, 06:49 PM)Freaksken Wrote: The reason I got into PAWN/SAMP was due to a thread on the Dutch GTAforums which translates to [Tutorial] Create?Your Own Server. If you really want new people to get started with SA-MP scripting, that is imo a better approach than just pointing people to a PAWN language guide, because they will see immediate results in their server, which will motivate them better to keep going.

Tutorial is done or working on it ?