Do you want to see DL features in open.mp?
YES - I am a SERVER OWNER/DEV and would use these a lot on my server
63.90%
YES - I am a player and would play on servers that had these features
26.83%
DON'T CARE - I might use them or might not, don't care either way
6.34%
NO - I do not want to see these features.
2.93%
205 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your thoughts on SAMP 0.3.DL compatibility
Questions were asked recently about 0.3.DL compatibility with open.mp (thank you Manyula and dreftas for submitting these) and we were going to save this one for the Q&A, but thought it deserved its own thread as we would like?community input on this topic.

Will open.mp be compatible with 0.3.DL?
This is the discontinued release that included server-side custom models.

The answer is simple - if the majority?will use it then yes. If they?won't, then no.

We believe that SAMP 0.3.DL was discontinued because the big?servers in general?weren't using it, however, we also believe that the reason the big?servers weren't using it was because it was not officially supported by the SAMP dev team. So it was?a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation - it wasn't supported because no one was using it, but no one was using it because it wasn't supported.

So what do you guys want?

Is there enough community support for DL features?

Are you a server owner or developer who would only switch to open.mp if these features existed?

Please vote in the poll, and also leave a comment below with your opinions!

Don't forget you have a few more days to ask your burning questions about open.mp for our Q&A post!?https://www.burgershot.gg/showthread.php?tid=1035

[Image: qsebnEb5vsA.jpg]
image from gold?roleplay -?posted by user?Arsenka123 on the SAMP forum
Yes, yes and YES. As you mentioned no one was using it in SA-MP, because it wasn't supported, and it was not supported because no one was using it.

Keep it up guys, implement this compatibility and I think that it will be used a lot by DEV's.
Yes, I am a server dev, and my community would only switch on open:mp if DL and custom models are supported
I'm an owner and everytime players asks me about the possibility to add custom models and things like that. I would be really happy to add those kind of stuff but the answer I have to give them is always "No". If youre able to add the custom models and to support this whole new feature it would be just outstanding. There are so many issues with the 0.3DL that it makes impossibile to run a server with it, despite the custom models which is something everyone always wanted on SA:MP. So yes, I will definitely use a feature like this one if it isnt worth the trouble. And please, dont make two different client versions like Kalcor did because this one was the real reason that definitely killed 0.3dl
I'm not sure. I wasn't a fan of the DL feature back when it was announced and I'm still not a fan today. It simply reminds me too much of MTA - abysmal download speeds, inconsistent HUDs, models that don't fit the GTA:SA lore and so on. Sure, I can see people wanting this but I'm not confident saying that this won't ruin the GTA:SA gameplay experience for some people, even if we're talking about the minority here. I personally think that it's too much freedom on the developers part. You either greatly enhance the experience (not gonna deny that) or fuck it up royally.

I think allowing custom skins, pickups and map icons would be a great idea. I would advise against custom vehicles and custom objects, though.
If you want to somehow modify a vehicle, attaching objects to it should be more than enough. As for objects, I like the idea of having community-driven "object collection updates". Set up an official platform for everyone to showcase their models and let people rate them. Then include the best-rated objects in the next release.

I'm happy to discuss this further, feel free to share your opinions.
YES, 0.3.DL is and has always been my favourite samp client from the day it was launched. I absolutely love it.
Mabye Yes But.. We Need more impruvments, more inovations from you! i like idea, work hard!
Absolutely. Server dev here. Was already working on a project for DL, but ultimately had to put it on hold/scrap it when DL was nuked. Loads of work lost. Would be great to be able to use it again.
[Image: 1wpqfG3.png]

Yes, but there should a certain limit on the download size, 500MB for example, and the future client window should display the download size.
[Image: Sasinosoft.png]

DL is the only reason I'm still doing things on SA-MP, this needs to be supported.
Stoned Ape

In my opinion this should come in future updates. Its not necessarily to have 0.3dl support on first release
(2020-04-16, 02:02 AM)Twixxer Wrote: Absolutely. Server dev here. Was already working on a project for DL, but ultimately had to put it on hold/scrap it when DL was nuked. Loads of work lost. Would be great to be able to use it again.

Would you be willing to share some more information on what you were working on possibly?
Definitely will be using this feature as a developer if supported. I don't see a reason why not too.
I'm indifferent to it, accidentally voted for "don't want it at all", ignore that one, i voted for both that and my intended one, ?of don't care. If its in, its in, as long as its done in a manner where the fact it supports other stuff doesn't bring down the server in CPU usage as it has to do these checks even if you're not using any of it behind the scenes.
Redirect Left, OG player from 2007!

I currently own Mini-Missions, and Sumo Server. They're pretty cool!
There'd be no harm in it, I guess. But I reckon adding DL features should only be a priority when the main server software is functional within reason, and fully backwards compatible with Pawn scripts.

Furthermore, I believe the reason why DL failed was that it got rolled out as a separate branch. IMO open.mp should not commit the same mistake, and only publish DL features as part of the main release when they're stable enough for it.
I think the fun of doing something other than samp is to break the limitations and bugs that samp had. I would love to see people's creativity explode as they develop. I include myself.
Hi, I, as a developer, constantly monitor the development of openmp, although I do not participate in discussions because of my English.

The download function of their models sounds like something that will replace only the standard models built into the game. Large projects in Russia have already switched to their own launchers, so it became possible not only to replace models of objects, but also to create active interfaces with a convenient design for them. All that server developers need now is a quality design (feature) that bypasses many of the limitations and additional features for managing objects and players.

For example, the MTA has full control over any car settings, only this can radically change the modes that are popular in SAMP.
I liked the idea of DL features in SA-MP at first but changed my mind after realising how different it made the game feel. Freeroam server owners would generally put a ton of different mods in, completely unrelated to GTA's style, and most of which you'd never use yourself. Long download times upon connecting for a bunch of bloat is annoying. That, along with it changing the feel of the game would just result in less players in the long term, in my opinion.

Restrictions are good. MTA has all that stuff. I don't see the point of turning this into MTA.
(2020-04-20, 02:15 PM)scott_41 Wrote: I liked the idea of DL features in SA-MP at first but changed my mind after realising how different it made the game feel. Freeroam server owners would generally put a ton of different mods in, completely unrelated to GTA's style, and most of which you'd never use yourself. Long download times upon connecting for a bunch of bloat is annoying. That, along with it changing the feel of the game would just result in less players in the long term, in my opinion.

Restrictions are good. MTA has all that stuff. I don't see the point of turning this into MTA.

Isn't that a server problem? Everywhere there are unpopular servers and if the owner does something that badly affects the players, the players will simply leave it
(2020-04-20, 02:32 PM)zenderlyproj Wrote: Isn't that a server problem? Everywhere there are unpopular servers and if the owner does something that badly affects the players, the players will simply leave it

I would say it's both, as it'd be by design of the mod that allows it to happen. Say your favourite server did it, which is likely if you play freeroam; after investing your time on that server, I'd say the chances of you losing interest in the mod are higher than going to find a new favourite server.
I?ve done a lot of things on DL already and there are so much to do yet. If you guys will support DL that?d be great
I've been working on a server that I intend to open only in Open.mp, and includes DL resources.

I believe that it should be up to the devs to decide what to do on their server.

In Roleplay for example, new skins are crucial (and we usually use only low poly, q keep the face of the samp.

Objects: many buildings of the GTA itself, but with open interiors being made, graffiti, furniture etc ...

And many are also waiting for the opportunity to add new cars, weapons and animations.

Whether they are from the GTA environment, it is the server's discretion.

If the server you play on, add non-sense stuff, complain or look for another one.

You can't limit the whole community because of some servers that will add nonsense to the samp.
Full Stack?Developer

# Languages/Frameworks

Pawn, C#, C, Javascript, Java,?PHP, HTML5, CSS3,??SQL/MySQL,

Ruby, Ruby on Rails, React

Discord Freeze#8318
(2020-04-18, 11:18 AM)Y_Less Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 02:02 AM)Twixxer Wrote: Absolutely. Server dev here. Was already working on a project for DL, but ultimately had to put it on hold/scrap it when DL was nuked. Loads of work lost. Would be great to be able to use it again.

Would you be willing to share some more information on what you were working on possibly?

Sorry for the late reply. We were working on a 16th century adventure-RPG kind of server. Naval ship battles, pirates, treasures, quests, roleplay, etc. We were already working on this project before DL, but being limited to existing objects to create the world and ships was making it very difficult (before DL examples:?https://imgur.com/a/AEUHK4P). When DL was released, we immediately scrapped the artistic side of the project and started fresh with DL, designing a custom island, buildings & ships, still trying to stick to original SA style (after DL examples:?https://imgur.com/a/ORnMUxn)

I know a lot of people have the mindset that if you use custom models, you shouldn't create anything outside of SA's original theme, but I think that's dumb. SA-MP is a sandbox, like Garry's Mod - allowing you to create anything you can imagine. SA-MP has a very unique roleplaying scene, which would transfer well to different themes, such as medieval - providing players with a totally fresh experience, letting them rediscover SA-MP in a new way.

The players who prefer the vanilla SA experience should just be able to filter the servers that have downloads in the open.mp client.

I would love to have 0.3.DL compatibility in open.mp. I'm working on map from scratch using default sa objects and samp road/land objects.

I will be using object download feature to optimize my mapp (with x250m land planes and roads ) and to add other miscellaneous objects/skins.

I'm NOT a fan of that car and dino skin mod.
(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: And many are also waiting for the opportunity to add new cars, weapons and animations.

Some of us don't want to turn this into MTA 2.0. And no, I don't think this is an apples to oranges comparison at all. Both are GTA:SA multiplayer modifications and both allow server-side scripting. Their vision is the same: offer multiplayer capabilities to GTA:SA. MTA chose to go for more features and risk having a non-GTA feel while SA:MP stuck to fewer features while preserving the GTA:SA vanilla theme. I tried out both mods, and it was ultimately the vanilla feeling that got me hooked on SA:MP.

I'm not assuming in any way that that's the reason everyone chose to stick with SA:MP, I'm just pointing out that there are people who have the same reasons for choosing SA:MP over MTA.

(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: If the server you play on, add non-sense stuff, complain or look for another one.

I'd say you're more likely to lose interest in the mod itself?if you keep encountering the same type of crappy servers.?Imagine trying out a couple of servers that each required you to download several 100MB of data, just to find out that it looks nothing like GTA:SA and having a?completely fucked up?gameplay experience.?We already have MTA for that. Of course, developers can choose not to include non-GTA stuff in their gamemodes - but try finding a server that does.

(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: You can't limit the whole community because of some servers that will add nonsense to the samp.

You can, and in fact you should if it's for the greater good. I don't claim to know what the greater good is, I only express my concern regarding too much freedom. I think encouraging people to share their resources with the community is much more valuable than letting them do their own thing just for their own benefit. It is the server owner's responsibility to be different from everyone else if they want to make some kind of profit from it, not the mod developer's. Of course, if you have your own unique models, your server is going to stand out. You gained that advantage because you have the know-how to make your own models. Some people don't have that and it is these people who are at a disadvantage and likly to use ripped off HQ models from other games.

My suggestion for custom content would be to have at least some centralized component to it, so the whole community can benefit from it. Make a platform (like prineside) for people to upload their stuff and let people decide what they want to use from that central pool. But only allow them to use stuff that has been uploaded to that platform.

Please keep in mind that?I'm proposing all of this to keep the SA:MP spirit alive, not to cripple anyone's creativity.
(2020-04-22, 03:33 PM)Manyula Wrote: Some of us don't want to turn this into MTA 2.0. And no, I don't think this is an apples to oranges comparison at all. Both are GTA:SA multiplayer modifications and both allow server-side scripting. Their vision is the same: offer multiplayer capabilities to GTA:SA. MTA chose to go for more features and risk having a non-GTA feel while SA:MP stuck to fewer features while preserving the GTA:SA vanilla theme. I tried out both mods, and it was ultimately the vanilla feeling that got me hooked on SA:MP.

I'm not assuming in any way that that's the reason everyone chose to stick with SA:MP, I'm just pointing out that there are people who have the same reasons for choosing SA:MP over MTA.

I'd say you're more likely to lose interest in the mod itself?if you keep encountering the same type of crappy servers.?Imagine trying out a couple of servers that each required you to download several 100MB of data, just to find out that it looks nothing like GTA:SA and having a?completely fucked up?gameplay experience.?We already have MTA for that. Of course, developers can choose not to include non-GTA stuff in their gamemodes - but try finding a server that does.

You can, and in fact you should if it's for the greater good. I don't claim to know what the greater good is, I only express my concern regarding too much freedom. I think encouraging people to share their resources with the community is much more valuable than letting them do their own thing just for their own benefit. It is the server owner's responsibility to be different from everyone else if they want to make some kind of profit from it, not the mod developer's. Of course, if you have your own unique models, your server is going to stand out. You gained that advantage because you have the know-how to make your own models. Some people don't have that and it is these people who are at a disadvantage and likly to use ripped off HQ models from other games.

My suggestion for custom content would be to have at least some centralized component to it, so the whole community can benefit from it. Make a platform for people to upload their stuff and let people decide what they want to use from that central pool. But only allow them to use stuff that has been uploaded to that platform.

Please keep in mind that?I'm proposing all of this to keep the SA:MP spirit alive, not to cripple anyone's creativity.

Honestly, SA-MP would be nothing like MTA even if downloads were added. The community mindsets are different. MTA devs see it as a game engine, SA-MP devs see it as GTA SA. Theres hardly any vanilla servers on MTA, but as recent ongoings both here and on SAMP forums have shown, most SAMP players want to stick with vanilla style, even if mods are used.?

To further counter this, adding strict rules to model use (not allowing you to rip models from other games, etc, due to copyright reasons) and actually enforcing them (blacklisting and such) would be very helpful. If you want to use custom models - make them yourself, or use them from a pool of community shared content. This would limit the amount of silly servers with car mods and dinosaurs running around, like in the picture in OPs post.?

SA-MP has been stuck in the same boring loophole for awhile now. Its all RP servers, hardly any variety. Some people have tried to make unique, original stuff - but ultimately it didn't last long, mainly due to just how limiting SA-MP is. Giving players the ability to make their own content for the server (not rip it from somewhere) would open endless possibilities, allowing SA-MP to feel fresh again.

First of all, thanks for your response, I really appreciate having a civil discussion on this.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: Honestly, SA-MP would be nothing like MTA even if downloads were added. The community mindsets are different. MTA devs see it as a game engine, SA-MP devs see it as GTA SA. Theres hardly any vanilla servers on MTA, but as recent ongoings both here and on SAMP forums have shown, most SAMP players want to stick with vanilla style, even if mods are used.

I can agree with you on the mindset argument judging by my own experience. I wouldn't bet my money on that, though. Are you concerned, that more freedom is going to change something about said mindset? What about MTA people switching over to open.mp? I'm just asking, I'm curious.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: To further counter this, adding strict rules to model use (not allowing you to rip models from other games, etc, due to copyright reasons) and actually enforcing them (blacklisting and such) would be very helpful. If you want to use custom models - make them yourself, or use them from a pool of community shared content. This would limit the amount of silly servers with car mods and dinosaurs running around, like in the picture in OPs post.

I agree. I don't think imposing a file size limit is the way to go. About copyright and blacklisting: you definitely need a centralized component to manage that. There's no way around that, unfortunately.

Again, a community pool for custom content would be a good middleground:

1. People can still use any new custom content. The only restriction would be to share it with the community.

2. It ensures everyone has access to new content, not just those capable of producing it. Yes, of course you can learn to make your own content, but if you want to make that argument you can go even further back and learn how to make your own multiplayer mod. Everyone draws the line at a different point. I would always go for the lowest common denominator.

3. It adds a "soft" review process, making it possible to remove copyrighted content mod-wide instead of only server-wide. There is, of course, moderation required for this, just like it is for a forum. I don't know if that's a position the open.mp devs want to put themselves in, so that would be something open to debate.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: SA-MP has been stuck in the same boring loophole for awhile now. Its all RP servers, hardly any variety. Some people have tried to make unique, original stuff - but ultimately it didn't last long, mainly due to just how limiting SA-MP is. Giving players the ability to make their own content for the server (not rip it from somewhere) would open endless possibilities, allowing SA-MP to feel fresh again.

There's hardly any variety because SA:MP development has always been about RP. That's clearly Kalcor's fault. I agree that custom content would open up a whole new world of possibilities, but I think an effort should be made to keep these possibilities within the boundaries of GTA:SA lore.
Honestly, the way to innovate is take a step, and not stagnate in the same things from the past. Same, people like the default style of GTA, maybe it can be an option added in the client for the servers.
0.3DL is love, 0.3DL is life.

Even if servers use it just for some custom skins, it can give your server a more unique style and feel. I'm all up for 0.3DL being compatible, it would be a great addition.
Yes, 03DL support is required. I own a server on version 03DL with up to 200 players online. My server on the Vice City map with multiple modifications.
I think the solution could be having a server browser filter servers by download size. If people don't want any downloads then they can easily select max download size at 0MB. I'm not a fan of having a total download limit, as it might prevent servers from utilising fully custom created maps, unless the cap is high enough not to matter. As for vetting servers, I don't think anyone wants to do that, but what could be done is "Open.mp endorsed servers" which have their own tab in the server browser and have been known to be high(er) quality and not using any ripped assets or such.

I do not believe public object pool would be such a great idea, especially for a server that's being developed, especially if it is a part from an entirely custom terrain. Whoever would be vetting these would be spammed with obscene amounts of requests, especially if server's in development. And how you actually develop the custom terrain without having the object vetted first? (Sounds like a bottleneck to me)
[Image: qPwh60X.png]

(2020-04-25, 11:18 AM)EvilShadeZ Wrote: I think the solution could be having a server browser filter servers by download size. If people don't want any downloads then they can easily select max download size at 0MB. I'm not a fan of having a total download limit, as it might prevent servers from utilising fully custom created maps, unless the cap is high enough not to matter. As for vetting servers, I don't think anyone wants to do that, but what could be done is "Open.mp endorsed servers" which have their own tab in the server browser and have been known to be high(er) quality and not using any ripped assets or such.

I do not believe public object pool would be such a great idea, especially for a server that's being developed, especially if it is a part from an entirely custom terrain. Whoever would be vetting these would be spammed with obscene amounts of requests, especially if server's in development. And how you actually develop the custom terrain without having the object vetted first? (Sounds like a bottleneck to me)

I like the idea of "featured" servers list, which is managed by the open.mp devs.

0.3-DL - yes.
Away
Let me share you guys some of my works I made so far for SA-MP's DL client, you can find all these mappings in '' Singleplay Features Roleplay '' server which is based on Singleplay events of GTA San Andreas, which players roleplay after 1992 events.. I am sorry for advertising lmao but if anyone is interested to take a look at it feel free to PM me, we have features such as Basketball Script, Pool Script, Voicelines, Poker Script long story short any SP feature which you can imagine about, we will also bring Gym Script in upcoming days.

I play this game for about 13 years and I do mapping for like 6 years, I always liked to create quality content for SA-MP thats because I really like this game a lot and I always wanted to see this game developing. For years I always dreamed about ''What if it was possible to add custom skins&custom models in game?'' can you imagine the oppurtunity SA-MP would offer to its fans ? I always wanted that to be honest, I even created about 10-15 topics about it from SA-MP forums, I got into most heatful discussions and arguments with people and it leaded mine 10 year old account to get banned lmao. However at the end SA-MP's mighty owner Kalcor decided to bring 0.3.8 content and he promised us that he will be upgrading it in feature. To be honest I was very happy like most of people, THAT was the reason actually which made me interested in this game again.. when I was just about to leave SA-MP, now it was an execuse for me to play it again until Kalcor announced again that he will CANCEL it, thats because ''Noone is that much interested with the custom skins&custom models feature'' lol it was a disaster. When we were expecting for more, we ended up coming back to where we started again.I know what you guys are upto, I follow your project for a long time and yeah I hope you guys will really success it. OFCOURSE DL content should be added with no discussion, moreover I'd like to see custom weapons, custom animations, custom cars or long story short ANYTHING which will make this 2004 produced game more exciting. I guarantee you, servers I work for will definitely switch to your client if you add more qoL features than DL, I wish you good luck with it.

[Image: 1QuLNuG.png]

[Image: DsjwK3F.jpg]

[Image: h5wWArf.jpg]

[Image: WneSqSO.jpg]

[Image: MuGFKgW.jpg]
(2020-04-22, 03:33 PM)Manyula Wrote:
(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: And many are also waiting for the opportunity to add new cars, weapons and animations.

Some of us don't want to turn this into MTA 2.0. And no, I don't think this is an apples to oranges comparison at all. Both are GTA:SA multiplayer modifications and both allow server-side scripting. Their vision is the same: offer multiplayer capabilities to GTA:SA. MTA chose to go for more features and risk having a non-GTA feel while SA:MP stuck to fewer features while preserving the GTA:SA vanilla theme. I tried out both mods, and it was ultimately the vanilla feeling that got me hooked on SA:MP.

(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: If the server you play on, add non-sense stuff, complain or look for another one.

(2020-04-22, 10:41 AM)Freeze Wrote: You can't limit the whole community because of some servers that will add nonsense to the samp.

My suggestion for custom content would be to have at least some centralized component to it, so the whole community can benefit from it. Make a platform (like prineside) for people to upload their stuff and let people decide what they want to use from that central pool. But only allow them to use stuff that has been uploaded to that platform.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T LIMIT WH0L3 COMMUNISTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT CUSTOM CARS PLANES GIVE ME MY AUDI RS6 AVANT AND MY MICHAEL JACKSON SKIN YOU CAN'T MAKE ALL OF US SUFFER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(2020-04-27, 11:20 PM)BloodMaster Wrote:
(2020-04-22, 03:33 PM)Manyula Wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T LIMIT WH0L3 COMMUNISTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT CUSTOM CARS PLANES GIVE ME MY AUDI RS6 AVANT AND MY MICHAEL JACKSON SKIN YOU CAN'T MAKE ALL OF US SUFFER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hahaha communism goes brrrrr
Please also consider to add MTA like function.e.g. createWater,removeWater, it is essential for a custom map
I'm working on a gamemode on DL and would only switch to open.mp if it supports server sided models
I know at least 3 servers (~300 active players, 20K accounts at least) that'll instantly switch if models were supported (as they're already running on DL) so it's not just Is it too much but we'd avoid splitting the community even more than it is split now if DL models were supported?::)

Also, if you add DL support -?please do not forget the artwork rule in the server browser either?:')
Using Pawn.CMD?

If you're doing so, this is the very first sign that you absolutely shouldn't utilize your all powerful P-Code knowledge in any of the scripting discussion topics.
Video 
Hello,
I have a 12 year old SA-MP server. I have a server on 0.3.DL for 2 years. Over 200 people played online on my server. Now 150. A lot of hurt shutting down the server list. I modeled a whole new map (I worked on it for over a year). Here are the videos. open.mp and custom objects make sense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvpQpSLIx8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3C59Mx19Eg

Look in the map in my server: play.superparba.eu:7777
I want to move my server to open.mp