• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Sourcing the Burgershot and open.mp Web Services
Hey all???

As many of you know, I love to open source everything. Even configuration files. I feel this benefits everyone because people can learn techniques and the underlying stack that supports their favourite websites and web services. But also, it provides a level of openness that facilitates the ability to directly contribute expertise and ideas to how services are deployed and configured.

You can find all the deployment manifests and configuration for the websites and databases available in this repository:

https://github.com/openmultiplayer/deployment

If there's something about the site or configuration that you think can be done better or there's an issue that you know how to fix, simply open a pull request! The pull request will be reviewed by the team and if it's merged, the live site will be updated automatically.

If any of you are interested in learning how all of this works, feel free to reply to this thread with your questions and I will update this post with a F.A.Q. style section of explanations.
I'm a bit confused, what can you do with that linked site in a nutshell?
Meow
Will there also be a repository of this forum? Since i do not see it in the openmultiplayer repositories list.
Regarding OpenMP client & server, will it be open sourced or will it remain closed source?
(2019-04-15, 07:40 PM)Seanny Wrote: Regarding OpenMP client & server, will it be open sourced or will it remain closed source?

Read our FAQ at https://open.mp/faq
(2019-04-14, 06:42 PM)Wolf Wrote: I'm a bit confused, what can you do with that linked site in a nutshell?

Modify this site.
(2019-04-14, 06:55 PM)BlackBank Wrote: Will there also be a repository of this forum? Since i do not see it in the openmultiplayer repositories list.

Maybe. It depends how simple the site source is to work with and deploy.
(2019-04-15, 08:57 PM)Y_Less Wrote:
(2019-04-14, 06:42 PM)Wolf Wrote: I'm a bit confused, what can you do with that linked site in a nutshell?

Modify this site.

Oooh... Cool.
Meow
Don't you think that if you will open source OpenMP and it becomes large multiplayer platform someone will use it against successfully development? We live in 21st century, there is many people who thinks they can do everything unpunished.
this is what wikipedia say's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMP
Yes, we addressed that on the website:

https://www.open.mp/faq

Quote:What about OpenMP?

The Open Multi-Processing project is "OpenMP", we are "open.mp". Totally different.
(2019-04-17, 06:03 PM)dvx Wrote: Don't you think that if you will open source OpenMP and it becomes large multiplayer platform someone will use it against successfully development? We live in 21st century, there is many people who thinks they can do everything unpunished.

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. There are things have to be considered imo. Idk if this had been discussed already by the developers.
(2019-04-23, 04:45 AM)lordcumiring Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 06:03 PM)dvx Wrote: Don't you think that if you will open source OpenMP and it becomes large multiplayer platform someone will use it against successfully development? We live in 21st century, there is many people who thinks they can do everything unpunished.

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. There are things have to be considered imo. Idk if this had been discussed already by the developers.

*Posted to a forum running?Linux (an open source kernel),?using Chrome (based on Chromium?an open source web brower), or Firefox another open source web browser.

[sarcasm]?Yeah guys don't open source?open.mp, it will kill it just like?MTA?[/sarcasm]
Would making the client open source leave unmodified servers vulnerable to attacks and also make it easier to develop hacks for OpenMP?
(2020-10-23, 01:44 PM)Torque Wrote: Would making the client open source leave unmodified servers vulnerable to attacks and also make it easier to develop hacks for OpenMP?

This. But was it also?easy to develop hacks in samp?
(2020-10-23, 01:44 PM)Torque Wrote: Would making the client open source leave unmodified servers vulnerable to attacks and also make it easier to develop hacks for OpenMP?

Yes but it would also make it easier (as in, more people would be able to) fix these vulnerabilities?and issues and allow the Open MP devs to take these fixes and use them to release an updated version quicker. People can discover and fix exploits before they're ever "discovered" and abused by the public.
(2020-10-28, 12:30 AM)filbertmangiri Wrote:

This. But was it also?easy to develop hacks in samp?

Just look at the allied modders community...
Using Pawn.CMD?

If you're doing so, this is the very first sign that you absolutely shouldn't utilize your all powerful P-Code knowledge in any of the scripting discussion topics.

If you have unlimited access even to closed source application, you can hack it, there are no exceptions for this rule.

However if you don't publish source code of your application, you just hide its vulnerabilities (and there is special term for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_t..._obscurity).