Do you want to see DL features in open.mp?
YES - I am a SERVER OWNER/DEV and would use these a lot on my server
64.08%
YES - I am a player and would play on servers that had these features
26.70%
DON'T CARE - I might use them or might not, don't care either way
6.31%
NO - I do not want to see these features.
2.91%
206 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your thoughts on SAMP 0.3.DL compatibility
First of all, thanks for your response, I really appreciate having a civil discussion on this.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: Honestly, SA-MP would be nothing like MTA even if downloads were added. The community mindsets are different. MTA devs see it as a game engine, SA-MP devs see it as GTA SA. Theres hardly any vanilla servers on MTA, but as recent ongoings both here and on SAMP forums have shown, most SAMP players want to stick with vanilla style, even if mods are used.

I can agree with you on the mindset argument judging by my own experience. I wouldn't bet my money on that, though. Are you concerned, that more freedom is going to change something about said mindset? What about MTA people switching over to open.mp? I'm just asking, I'm curious.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: To further counter this, adding strict rules to model use (not allowing you to rip models from other games, etc, due to copyright reasons) and actually enforcing them (blacklisting and such) would be very helpful. If you want to use custom models - make them yourself, or use them from a pool of community shared content. This would limit the amount of silly servers with car mods and dinosaurs running around, like in the picture in OPs post.

I agree. I don't think imposing a file size limit is the way to go. About copyright and blacklisting: you definitely need a centralized component to manage that. There's no way around that, unfortunately.

Again, a community pool for custom content would be a good middleground:

1. People can still use any new custom content. The only restriction would be to share it with the community.

2. It ensures everyone has access to new content, not just those capable of producing it. Yes, of course you can learn to make your own content, but if you want to make that argument you can go even further back and learn how to make your own multiplayer mod. Everyone draws the line at a different point. I would always go for the lowest common denominator.

3. It adds a "soft" review process, making it possible to remove copyrighted content mod-wide instead of only server-wide. There is, of course, moderation required for this, just like it is for a forum. I don't know if that's a position the open.mp devs want to put themselves in, so that would be something open to debate.

(2020-04-22, 04:05 PM)Twixxer Wrote: SA-MP has been stuck in the same boring loophole for awhile now. Its all RP servers, hardly any variety. Some people have tried to make unique, original stuff - but ultimately it didn't last long, mainly due to just how limiting SA-MP is. Giving players the ability to make their own content for the server (not rip it from somewhere) would open endless possibilities, allowing SA-MP to feel fresh again.

There's hardly any variety because SA:MP development has always been about RP. That's clearly Kalcor's fault. I agree that custom content would open up a whole new world of possibilities, but I think an effort should be made to keep these possibilities within the boundaries of GTA:SA lore.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your thoughts on SAMP 0.3.DL compatibility - by Manyula - 2020-04-22, 04:42 PM