• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why SA:MP/open.mp and not MTA?
Question 
I've recently read a topic which made me wonder why did all of you choose at some point to start playing and/or developing for?SA:MP and not MTA. And also, did you consider moving to MTA at one point or another?

In my case, when I was first introduced to SA:MP I was too young to know too much about computers (didn't even know how to install samp lol) and for a very long time (until after I started scripting) I didn't even know MTA existed. I first found out about it when I was looking for a map editor tbh. Now I would not switch to MTA because it would not be worth it learning lua and I no longer have the patience and time to start playing on a server and get to know the people etc.
I had a very bad PC (I still have a bad one!) that's one of the reasons why I never went to MTA even though I knew it was superior compared to SA:MP.

I'm sure the main reason why SA:MP was attracted to more people was because of the name (and the SEO associated with it). You wouldn't search up MTA if you were wondering if a __San Andreas Multiplayer__ mod existed, right?

The name benefited SA:MP so much and I think that's how a lot of people found it.
I've actually tried switching to MTA once but ended up not doing so. I wasn't able to find any good servers, most servers were either not English, incomplete or just bad.

The mod gives game-mode scripters too many features, and many abused those features to create horrible servers. Where it ends up looking like my GTA:SA copy did back when I was 10 and installed all types of CLEO mods.
MTA has always been an arcade mod for me. I enjoy the race modes and zombie modes but that's about all it's been good for. RP servers on MTA are horrible and it just looks like you're playing APB Reloaded. SAMP is just nicer and cleaner overall, even if it has less features.
(2019-04-29, 08:12 AM)Bluman Wrote: MTA has always been an arcade mod for me. I enjoy the race modes and zombie modes but that's about all it's been good for. RP servers on MTA are horrible and it just looks like you're playing APB Reloaded. SAMP is just nicer and cleaner overall, even if it has less features.

This.
tell MTA to stop using lua and ok i'll go over there
SA-MP didnt erase the actual GTA SA experience whether MTA would feel as if you're playing a completely different game.
That's entirely up to the server, it is always possible to keep it as close as possible to GTA SA itself. That's really not a decent enough argument.
MTA failed to provide the actual experience of GTA San Andreas but where as SA-MP never failed in that point.
[Image: widget.png?style=banner2]

(2019-04-30, 05:08 AM)Megadreams Wrote: That's entirely up to the server, it is always possible to keep it as close as possible to GTA SA itself. That's really not a decent enough argument.

This is true. But try find a server that does.
SA:MP better conveys the vanilla atmosphere of the game, I think that's why.
I will stay on SA:MP

no matter what happen to MTA and lua is difficult to code.
I was very inexperienced when I discovered MTA. It wasn't very user friendly either.

I never managed to find out how to find and connect to servers or how to create my own.

When, I discovered SA:MP and it was child's play. Download binarys, start to code and there were tutorials and a wiki I could (mostly) rely on. And there was an easy server list where I could pick a server and just play.

Also tried MTAs map editor, but just couldn't get used to it.
SA:MP was the mod I heard / found out about first, so that's what I used. Eventually I did find out about MTA, but I was young enough back then to just blindly fanboy SA:MP with no basis behind my claim of "It's simply better". This attitude kept me from ever even trying out the mod back then. So yes, my childishness kept me in SA:MP.

As for when I got older? I don't know. I never was the person to play on multiple servers on SA:MP - to be honest I think I have probably missed out on a lot because of this. I found the one and only Finnish/English server on SA:MP, joined it, got to know the community and only ever left when I started making my own server. So my whole SA:MP experience is based on two servers, pretty much. This also meant I had no intentions of changing mods, trying to look for good servers on MTA - I already found good communities and servers and people over on SA:MP so there was no reason for me to go to MTA. I'm a bit of an unconventional player on that regard anyway I suppose - SA:MP was always more of a platform to chat on and have fun on, rather than actually doing something strictly with the game itself.
For myself, it's okay for me to use Lua, but xml? HELL NO!, XML for me is like an hell unlike HTML, and MTA forces you to use modular method instead putting your code into one single file like SA:MP/open.mp did.

Also SA-MP/open.mp have easiest method to upping your server, like just change few settings in server.cfg and your server is ready to be play.
Pawn has at least some semblance of type safety. Lua does not. It was that simple.
(2019-09-26, 12:48 AM)Tama Wrote: MTA forces you to use modular method instead putting your code into one single file like SA:MP/open.mp did.

Although forcing someone to do something is not a really good idea, it is better to have separate files rather than a pawn file with over 60k lines you have to deal with! I struggle with 1000!
(2019-09-26, 02:38 PM)Josh Wrote:
(2019-09-26, 12:48 AM)Tama Wrote: MTA forces you to use modular method instead putting your code into one single file like SA:MP/open.mp did.

Although forcing someone to do something is not a really good idea, it is better to have separate files rather than a pawn file with over 60k lines you have to deal with! I struggle with 1000!

Yeah if you have around 60k?lines, and its actually weird to use modular on lua and like i want to make a simple filterscript but the set up seems difficult to understand for me.

Unlike PHP, React, C, etc, lua for me is like python but with XML thing and manual configuration which make me feel like dizzy.
???? ???? ????? ?? ???????? ???? ?????, ?? ???? ???? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?? ??? ???? ??? ???? ??? ?? ?? ?????? ??????

mta is like more GTA, but SA:MP has own physcis

like holding a m4, it's holds like rambo in MTA sometimes/everytimes.

like holding a deagle, it stops when do you aim with the gun.
cowboys from hell

(2019-11-07, 10:49 PM)Macheller Wrote: mta is like more GTA, but SA:MP has own physcis

like holding a m4, it's holds like rambo in MTA sometimes/everytimes.

like holding a deagle, it stops when do you aim with the gun.

Do you know there is something called "weapon skill"?
Away
I got SA-MP together with GTA SA from a friend on a CD, so it was probably the first multiplayer mod I heard about before MTA. By the time I tried MTA, I had already visited a couple of SA-MP servers, was maintaining my own, and on top of that, the MTA client was a bit laggy on my PC. However, even then I admired the possibilities MTA already allowed, but I had already started my path on SA-MP and that's where I had my friends.

At this moment, I don't have many regrets for choosing SA-MP over MTA. While MTA is superior in almost every technical aspect and I hit the limits of SA-MP every time I try to develop something for it (at least I have managed to breach some of them), I cannot imagine what my life would have been had I chosen MTA instead.

But if I had the choice to switch to MTA without affecting the playerbase, I'll do it without hesitation.