• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestion] Mod name
Some time ago I wondered how the name "open multiplayer" came about. I mean, of course we're talking about a multiplayer mod which will eventually be?open sourced. But in terms of SEO, this name is not favorable to attracting new people. I understand?that the initial intention was to cater to the existing SA:MP playerbase - but for anyone out of the loop, it's hard to find out about this modification. Have you thought about better alternative?names for the project in terms of SEO?

Here are a couple of suggestions:
  • San Andreas Online

• Open San Andreas

• Open San Andreas Multiplayer

I agree 100%
San Andreas Online sounds very appealing and SEO friendly.
I mean... I think Burgershot MP would attract more players than open.mp
I would also like a name change to something less generic, but if the devs decide to change it?please keep the "open" in the name.
I love San Andreas Online
I don't expect the name to change - the name, open.mp, is infact, about the mod being open-source. Unlike SA-MP, which is not only closed-source, but also lead by a closed-minded human being. Things are open here, you get to know all what you can know, whether its development related or not. Open-ness is the main objective of the community. We don't censor stuff.
Again, as I've stated in the OP, I understand that it's about a multiplayer mod which is eventually going to be open-sourced - that's indicative of what the project is about but NOT what kind of project it is. "open.mp" simply doesn't say that it is GTA San Andreas. I don't think the project's name should be a fashion statement towards Kalcor and SA:MP. If openness is the main objective then make it a slogan but not the project's name. The naming of the mod is one thing Kalcor completely nailed, something you can't say for open.mp or even MTA - for the simple fact that they are not SEO-friendly. Names that are not indicative of what they actually are need to be marketed properly which is why all commercial games have unique names. If your possibilities of drawing attention to your project are limited, give it an indicative name and people are more likely to find out about it. The only people who found out about open.mp were the ones paying attention to what was going on in the SA:MP forums. Now, that Kalcor removed all references to this project, there is no other way to find out about this than by word of mouth.

I'll say it again: please, don't mix up the name of the project and its slogan. You could go for something like "San Andreas Online" and add a slogan to it if the open-source aspect needs to be emphasized, or "Open San Andreas" at the expense of SEO-friendliness but keeping the open-source aspect in the project's name. I, personally, don't think players will care about whether it is open-source or not as long as updates are delivered somewhat frequently - of course, anyone willing to contribute will, but that's a minority of the playerbase.
(2019-05-03, 12:10 PM)Manyula Wrote: "open.mp" simply doesn't say that it is GTA San Andreas.?

I agree, not to mention open.mp is too similar to openmp and relying?on a single dot to differentiate?is probably not a good idea.

(2019-05-03, 12:10 PM)Manyula Wrote: If openness is the main objective then make it a slogan but not the project's name.

Why not? It wouldn't be the first time an open source project related to a game uses the word "open" "free" or "libre" in their name. For example:?OpenRTC2,?OpenClonk,?OpenArena,?OpenTTD,?FreeSO.

(2019-05-03, 12:10 PM)Manyula Wrote: I, personally, don't think players will care about whether it is open-source or not

And that's a bad thing, the whole point of open source is giving the community the opportunity to change and improve the project. If the community do not care then it might as well be closed source.
(2019-05-03, 08:57 PM)ohmios Wrote: I agree, not to mention open.mp is too similar to openmp and relying?on a single dot to differentiate?is probably not a good idea.

I forgot about this one, you're absolutely right.

(2019-05-03, 08:57 PM)ohmios Wrote: Why not? It wouldn't be the first time an open source project related to a game uses the word "open" "free" or "libre" in their name. For example:?OpenRTC2,?OpenClonk,?OpenArena,?OpenTTD,?FreeSO.

I'm not saying that having "open" in the name is bad per se. In fact, the projects you've listed, with the exception of OpenClonk since it's not a modification of an existing game, do have indicative names. They simply attach "open" or "free" as a prefix to the game's abbreviation - I immediately knew that OpenRTC2 was an open-source implementation of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. It doesn't tell me that it has an online multiplayer though, so I guess that's a?tradeoff for emphasizing the open-source aspect. Following this pattern, you could name this project "OpenSA", nothing wrong with that.

(2019-05-03, 08:57 PM)ohmios Wrote: And that's a bad thing, the whole point of open source is giving the community the opportunity to change and improve the project. If the community do not care then it might as well be closed source.

My point is, that players won't care about WHO implements new features as long as they are implemented by SOMEONE, at least those who don't/can't contribute (for whatever reason). Community feedback should be taken into consideration regardless of whether it is open-source or not.
We have future plans to extend this mod far past just San Andreas, so stating that it should be called "San Andreas Online" would also not be SEO friendly for us.

Though our current plans are to focus on a MP mod for GTA:SA we have discussed a possible future mod using OMP source for Red Dead Redemption 2. We have already thought hard about the name and our image and we are happy with the current name, and no reason or want to change it.

We will continue to be named OMP.
Remember to always refer to J0sh as `J0sh...`

@ Networks/Servers

San Andreas Gaming Network (Owner/Founder)

San Andreas Gaming (Owner/Founder)

Grand Theft Cop's n Robber's (Owner)

Britannia Roleplay (Owner/Founder) [Retired]

Alpine RP (Owner/Founder)

Aluminium Network (Maintainer) [Disbanded]

AlphaDM (Tech Support) [Disbanded]

# Services

forum.open.mp (Forum Manager) (Formerly Burgershot.gg

open.mp (Member)

~ Languages/Frameworks

Pawn, C, C, C#, Javascript, Typescript, Lua, Python, Go, Rust, PHP, SQL,

Angular, React, Vue, Svelte, Laravel, Rocket