• 17 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Statement
Time for my side I believe. You are all partially right, but not in the ways you may think. I am not trying to split the community, I am not trying to start a rival to SA:MP, and one important side point: I am not stealing anyone's code. You all think the cat is out of the bag because of one poorly worded post missing all context of the conversation it was a part of. You got a peek in to the bag and think the whole thing is stupid, which is understandable given the lack of information. I was trying to give the important points without revealing too many details, unfortunately that backfired because now you only have half a story from which to draw conclusions.

So let's put it all out there.

• I am not trying to split the community. However, someone IS trying to destroy it - they have hoarded information, withheld long sought updates, threatened to delete the whole forums (last week), and bans anyone who says that maybe that's not great. This person has already split the community - releasing two separate parallel versions of the mod, then wondering why uptake on one was not as all-encommpasing as originally envisioned. For over a year people have asked for 0.3.7 and 0.3dl to be merged, while he just sat there and wondered if there was actually anyone that wanted it. He has said that he believes the community is dying, SA:MP is dying, and only has a year or two left; and is content to just watch it happen. Some of us disagree and have tried to convince him to do something - either carry on or pass on the reigns. The community shrinking is probably inevitable, but it will only die if not supported - and that's what happening right now.

There is an unofficial discord, where yes people sometimes have fun and joke around with each other. But it wasn't founded as a place for rebellion. It came in to being because people liked SA:MP, and people use Discord, thus the community naturally wanted to combine both. There's an unofficial forums, Kalcor himself has previously said if you don't like these ones, make your own, but now bans those that do. However neither the forums nor the discord are run by me. They are simply a result of the official areas failing to move forward. That's not splitting, that's progressing.

• I am not trying to start a rival to SA:MP. Two of the words there are wrong "start", and "rival". I'm not "starting" anything, I was trying to gauge further interest in a project well under way. These are the commits from just the last year:

[Image: JGgR39R.png]

There's nothing new about this, so what is this? And why is it not a rival?

• I did once leave SA:MP, yes, but that was 6 years ago - get over it!

I am not betraying SA:MP, and I am not betraying Kalcor - he is the one betraying SA:MP, but most people are unable to separate the two. Yes, he founded it, but that doesn't make it his. Hundreds of other people have spent countless hours/days/weeks/YEARS working on this, making it what it is today, but just because Kalcor has sole access to one little part - the server code, he believes he is the most important part and can dictate where it goes and when it stops. In the beginning yes, he did most of the work, but ask yourself who you honestly believe has done more for this mod in the last few years - Kalcor or any one of these people:

[Image: IZYZXhB.png]

We don't want to usurp him, we don't want to belittle him or his contributions. He founded this mod, he got people involved, but all those other people helped him bring it to where it is today, and it is those people - the community, who are being repressed and ignored. I've tried to act as a mediator, brining Kalcor's views to people, and the community's views to him, and have received endless flak from both sides for it. I've also tried repeatedly to have Kalcor pass running/updating the mod on to someone else (not necessarily me, but there's no-one else stepping up). What were the responses?

• He doesn't believe I'm capable of adding major new features. Of course he isn't adding any either, and actually doesn't believe there are any to be added, so why would that matter?

• He wanted a plan. My main priorities were to fix bugs, improve the obvious gaps in the API, and create a better platform for other languages - i.e. a proper C/plugin API. Not even difficult tasks and ones I've more than shown I'm capable of. But apparently that doesn't qualify as a plan.

• In his words exactly "they don't deserve it". That's what he thinks of this community that apparently I am the one trying to split up, and the idea of someone trying to carry it on.

No-one minds if he wants to quit, that's blatantly obvious and perfectly natural. We object to him taking everything else down with him. This is a community - it is a great community with a lot of very good long-time friends, centered around a close-source mod with a paranoid controlling leader. We want to move this center, that's all. We don't want to destroy SA:MP, we don't want to split the community (this got found out because I was trying to involve the long ignored Russian community, thus bring back in people already split off), we want to ensure its continuation - because Kalcor doesn't.

So I give you:

open.mp

That's the project (and domain, the burger-shot forums were just a temporary until we got the real one up, which hasn't happened yet). A team of TWENTY-TWO of the top people from San Andreas Multiplayer - server owners, scripters, testers, and other community leaders working together to recreate the whole thing from the ground up. Making a new forum is easy; the thing that always cemented Kalcor's control was his sole access to the mod source. There is a leaked version, but from the start I made it absolutely clear that we would take the high road in this regard and flat out refuse to use that in any way what so ever. So we have been reimplementing the whole thing from scratch. We originally wanted to release a full 1.0 version out of the blue, with that announcement being the first anyone heard of it, but that's not going to happen now. But it isn't too far off.

There have been forks, but they had two major problems: 1) They used the stolen code, something we don't, and 2) They were trying to reinvent the wheel, new scripting languages, totally different features, etc. We are making this fully backwards-compatible. You could switch your server over to ours, running the same script, and your players wouldn't even notice. There are of course plans for new features and improvements over time, but for now the focus is on backwards-compatibility, stability, and bug fixes (fixes we as a community have already done before because Kalcor wouldn't).

I tried very hard for over a year to work WITH Kalcor on improving SA:MP, I just happened to have a backup plan. So you can stick with him if you believe his approach is about to change and suddenly updates will happen (and if this debacle forces that, then we actually succeeded in the original goal). Or you can stick with the majority of the community, who know there is a problem and want to fix it - those that have been there for you through all this, helping, teaching, hosting, and leading.

It's up to you to decide who you think has betrayed SA:MP... You know where to find us.
It's a shame things had to go nuclear, but here's towards a better tomorrow!!! x)
..wow
I am glad to have the blank spots filled in. I guess with openess, honesty and dedication, more people will understand what is going on and also be able to contribute in a meaningful way.

May Open.mp find it's way to success. You have my support.
????...you have my support
(2019-04-13, 04:01 PM)Y_Less Wrote: He doesn't believe I'm capable of adding major new features. ?Of course he isn't adding any either, and actually doesn't believe there are any to be added, so why would that matter?

My favourite new feature was when he fixed birds not flying through objects anymore, will open.mp have this? If not it won't be as good.
I think it's great that you create a community different from SA-MP. But I think that has not been the problem.

You were given the rank of beta tester recently in forums (so Kalcor trusted you) when you and others have that project in secret, you should have rejected the rank.

I do not think anything would have happened if instead of throwing shit at Kalcor, you would have simply said: Hey look, we are developing a new multiplayer!

You literally said: "kalcor is killing sa-mp, come to my new mp mod"

I think it was the disappointment of people he trusted that made him take the decision of the massive ban.

Sorry for my english.
kalcor dont blacklist nutters server...!
woah ...
open.mp sounds like a well thought out plan. Wish you all the best of luck with pulling it off.
[Image: logo200.png]

Hey, good luck with open.mp and I hope it comes out quickly. The amount of updates on SA-MP is retarded and I hope we move to a better/faster updated community.
I disagree with Kalcor's methods of both running a community and a platform, good luck with this. And I'm looking forward to not seeing Kyeman's versioning system?[Image: 566412446970150914.png?v=1]
(2019-04-13, 04:23 PM)adri1 Wrote: I think it's great that you create a community different from SA-MP. But I think that has not been the problem.

You were given the rank of beta tester recently in forums (so Kalcor trusted you) when you and others have that project in secret, you should have rejected the rank.

I do not think anything would have happened if instead of throwing shit at Kalcor, you would have simply said: Hey look, we are developing a new multiplayer!

I think it was the disappointment of people he trusted that made him take the decision of the massive ban.

Sorry for my english.

To be fair, Y_Less did not ask to be put back into the beta team. He was simply placed in after a public back and forth with Kalcor where he mentioned that he's willing to take over development of the mod, something he had previous denied. During his brief return literally nothing happened other than some forum topics in the beta section about the future of SA-MP. These topics were filled with pitches and advice to Kalcor about where to take SA-MP in the future, and pretty much everything was either ignored or dismissed because "samp only has 1 or 2 years left". Pretty much every idea was shut down or never made it anywhere. Y_Less asked various times in the beta section about taking over SA-MP's direction and development, but that was also turned down because Kalcor simply didn't see the need.

What's the point in simply bickering with someone who has made up their mind, is sticking to their guns and won't let anyone sway their opinion? It's clear that there's still a lot of people in the community that wish to see SA-MP continue to develop and prosper, but the complaints and advice of hundreds of community users fell on deaf ears. Realistically, what do you do once you've reached that point? You can either continue going back and forth with someone who clearly isn't going to change their stance, or you can branch off and continue progress yourself. Y_Less and the open.mp "team" chose the latter.
Good luck, imma stick around for this one.
I hope you will be able to get the project out. I'm looking forward what changes it brings to the table, you know just the things people already requested for samp a billion times. I wish you and the project the best.
make samp great again :)
Good luck w this. Seems like a great project. Will definitely stick around for updates n stuff :eyes:
(2019-04-13, 04:23 PM)adri1 Wrote: I think it's great that you create a community different from SA-MP. But I think that has not been the problem.

Sorry for my english.

It was the other way around.
Best of luck, I'll be looking forward to this!
Thanks for clearing things up. I'm way more in the loop now and looking forward to what's to come
Good luck, awaiting for upcoming updates
this problem has been brewing for a long time. im glad someone do resist
I think you should rush as much as you can with the official website & forums for open mp. I doubt you would have the same recognition if you do that later.

Other than that, great job. I can assure you that the Romanian community, with more than 5000 unique players daily, will support open mp. We have been waiting for updates on SA:MP for toooo long
I'd like to see the open.mp project come to light, best of luck guys.
I'd be glad to help in anyway.
Really looking forward to this, guys! You're fucking crazy, I love you ahahah
I'm looking forward to this, open.mp sounds interesting
sounds epic
Best of luck!
Looking forward to open mp, You've my support! :))
[Image: about.jpg]

Definitely something to look forward to, hoping development goes smooth. Got my support for sure, best of luck.
Yeet.
Heart 
That was actually very exciting to read, I support you!
@dakyskye everywhere
It was clear for a long time that Kalcor didn't care the way he was supposed to. I fully am in support of you and the team here. Good luck!
I see a community with a bright future and an ambitious leader. I have been playing SA:MP since late 2015 and I witnessed how Kalcor divided the community into two-halves by opening .DL. I, as an old SAMP player, would really like to see this community being succeeded. I cannot wait for this to open without any 'DELAY' (not trying to point at Kalcor at all) so I can finally start playing.
Love the name already, open.mp. Also you can use this name for more then only one game or project.
Anyone with a functional brain would support this idea.

Good luck with it, finally someone is taking action.
SAMP is kye's project yeah, it's his, but even he must admit it's grew far bigger than just him, there's thousands of communities and hours put into the mod and with that perhaps he isn't the best to lead such a large community as it has now become. Onwards and upwards, this looks really promising. Will this be open source?
"We should not be afraid to go into a new era, to leave the old beyond."

? Zach Wamp

We got SA:MP's best of the best working on this project and I ain't got any doubt in what they can achieve.

Really interested into this new platform.
(2019-04-13, 07:45 PM)Justus Wrote: SAMP is kye's project yeah, it's his, but even he must admit it's grew far bigger than just him, there's thousands of communities and hours put into the mod and with that perhaps he isn't the best to lead such a large community as it has now become. Onwards and upwards, this looks really promising. Will this be open source?

I believe there are plans to make it open source eventually, however it won't be done right off the bat.
but what about ugmp!? :(