• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Question] Server & Client Updates
Will the server and client be notified if an update is available ?

Because there is no SA-MP.
C, PHP,?Pawn
Auto updaters and update warnings are an annoying gimmick.

IMO server owners notifying players of updates when the servers themselves are ready for them as it is right now is a good enough approach.
(2019-07-17, 04:33 PM)Markski Wrote: Auto updaters and update warnings are an annoying gimmick.

I don't see why a notification that an update's been released is annoying, as long as it doesn't force the update like Win 10 lmao
Stoned Ape

(2019-07-18, 12:49 AM)DTV Wrote:
(2019-07-17, 04:33 PM)Markski Wrote: Auto updaters and update warnings are an annoying gimmick.

I don't see why a notification that an update's been released is annoying, as long as it doesn't force the update like Win 10 lmao

Assuming that newer clients aren't backwards compatible with servers running old versions, you might end up with players updating only to find out that the server they play on is still on the old version.

It could work if you'd have a version switcher (similar to what Minecraft has) to easily allow users to join different servers with different versions.
I think it should be an automatic updater. That's why Sa-MP is breaking up. (0.3.7 - 03DL)

These updates should be made to prevent server owners from losing players.
C, PHP,?Pawn
(2019-07-21, 11:48 AM)NexoR Wrote: I think it should be an automatic updater. That's why Sa-MP is breaking up. (0.3.7 - 03DL)

yes
(2019-07-21, 11:48 AM)NexoR Wrote: I think it should be an automatic updater. That's why Sa-MP is breaking up. (0.3.7 - 03DL)

Too intrusive. If you want to update you can update. Automatic updates are really terrible ESPECIALLY for gaming software (but SA-MP is more special imo).
You could argue that games on steam do this, however, most games on steam have their own dedicated servers run by companies and not random people from the world.

Why? Networking changes.
(the reason SA-MP is special is because RPC ids usually change - so server net code from a previous version wouldn't work)

example: I get updated to 0.4a without my consent. However, the server I love to play on is still on 0.3.7. What do I do then?

Before someone suggests a point of "what about automatic updates for server?" no! Imagine your server randomly restarting because a new version got pushed. Maybe it'll make your script incompatible because of feature changes. Maybe you have some memory hacking plugins, they wouldn't support the new version.

SA-MP's split community is not because a automatic updater is not used, its because 0.3.DL was explained to be a TEST/BETA release. Not a full fledged release. Leading to server owners to not use the version of the server, only some server owners are using it. sa-mp.com wasn't even showing it (0.3.DL) for over a year. Now you can find it when you scroll down or something. SA-MP was fine for 10 years without an automatic updater without a (too large) split.
What about asking to update if your version is older than the server you're trying to connect on similar how MTA does it. Maybe also with an additional information that if you decide to update you can no longer visit servers running the old version. Also what could work maybe just letting the players know that there is a new update available. Again with the info about not being able to join servers with old version.

Auto-updaters are the worst invention ever. I can tell you now we'll never have one.

A non-intrusive message about updates, that you can disable, is fine. Modifying things on another person's computer without their permission is not.
(2019-07-22, 06:44 PM)Y_Less Wrote: A non-intrusive message about updates, that you can disable, is fine.

Alternatively, the new client could come with a "Check for updates" button to check for updates manually and an option in the client's settings?to enable/disable automatic update checks that display a message if there are updates available.
Yeah, when there is an client update we should be notified about it and we should be able to download updates directly from the client.

I think that is one of the main things samp client is lacking
(2019-07-22, 06:44 PM)Y_Less Wrote:

Auto-updaters are the worst invention ever. ?I can tell you now we'll never have one.

A non-intrusive message about updates, that you can disable, is fine. ?Modifying things on another person's computer without their permission is not.

When a new version comes out, users should at least go to inform. If he wants to update, he will update. If he does not want to update, he will remain in that version. In addition, when connecting to the server in the latest version, you must have a new version to enter this server. Like the MTA.
C, PHP,?Pawn